Our The Look top and Rearview tee embroidery was inspired by the exceptional strength of water buffaloes.
It started as a conversation about the Carabao, a domesticated water buffalo considered the national animal of the Philippines. In the end, we chose to feature the wild water buffalo, also called the Asian buffalo, that is native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia. Their heavy and widely spread horns show their dominance and distinguishes them from other bovines.
We respect the power and stability of all water buffalos, whether they be wild or domesticated.
Here are our 5 Favourite Facts about the Water Buffalo:
- They like to keep cool in the tropical heat by spending most of the day submerged in the muddy waters of Asia’s rainforests.
- They are always surefooted thanks to their wide-splayed hoofed feet, which prevents them from sinking too deeply in the mud and allows them to move easily around wetlands and swamps.
- They have been domesticated for more than 5,000 years and have been helping humanity’s survival with their milk, meat, horns, hides and power!
- The domesticated water buffalo is used for ploughing and transporting people and crops.
- Wild water buffaloes live in a small number of protected areas with a population totalling less than 4,000 today. They have been on the endangered list since 1986.
We created this unique embroidery to remind us of these strong and hardworking creatures on days that we need an extra push or dose of perseverance!